A love story for teens by a teen with no love life.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chapter 1 (post four)

Pre-note: The excerpts from the novel I'm working on are best read in order, beginning from the Prologue. Also, if you are reading this, please comment! I would really appreciate feedback. This is only a rough draft and the more feedback I get, the better I can fix it up. Thanks so much! 

Chapter One, section four:
Lunch was spent with friends sitting on the floor of the drama and art hallway each day. It was on the top floor, tucked away in the corner and leading only to a fire exit, so it was never busy. When the bell rang and we slipped down the wall to the gray floor that day, a door shut somewhere and then silence fell. It seemed like everyone was a little off; maybe I wasn’t alone in my daydreams. A couple more people joined us, though, and suddenly everyone had brushed away that feeling that I couldn’t quite shake.
“I love your t-shirt, Nika.” Kate commented, sliding over to sit beside me.
“Thanks.” I responded. I was glad that someone noticed that I was following the latest fad.
“How did you do on the math test?”
“Ok.”
“You’re not in a talkative mood today,” she teased.
I smiled. “It’s the weather.”
“We Canadians blame everything on the weather.”
“This is true,” I agreed, laughing a little. I almost added that the average Canadian complains about the weather at least once a day, but I didn’t. It was a really odd fact.
“Are you still up to shopping this Friday, though?”
“Of course,” I mumbled with my mouth full of food.
“Great, I’ll text you.”
It occurred to me that I was such a typical teenage girl, and I smiled.
Of course, I would never get that text, because it would never be sent. There would be no point; Kate would the first person at the side of my broken, bloody body. She would wait with Beth and my parents at the hospital, and hear the news first hand.

1 comment:

  1. Note: The ending to this section may be changed, depending on how mush knowledge I give the Nika the narrator.

    ReplyDelete