A love story for teens by a teen with no love life.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Next Chapter 11 (post two)


Pre-note: This section is a little random and will be worked on later! Remember, don't pay too much attention to when the football game is, as that's probably going to be changed/clarified.
Chapter eleven, section two:
We were sitting in a semi-circle with a bunch of other girls, a semi-circle facing the boys across the street so we could all watch.
A girl named Ella was talking about the football game. From what I understood, it was a really big deal; it only happened a couple times a year and there were rumours they were going to announce a dance the night after the game, a co-ed dance, which was even rarer than the football invitation.
The whole school was going over. They apparently had a huge football field, with a stadium that could hold up to 2,000 people. It was going to be packed, if both schools had about a thousand.
“They are all going to be in their football uniforms at the dance if they win,” said Ella. “I bet they won’t even shower.”
“That would be gross,” Cara said, scrunching up her face, “I’m sure they’d shower.”
“I wouldn’t care, guys smell good when they’re sweaty.”
“No way,” butt in Amy, “Cologne smells good, but not sweat, especially not guy sweat.”
A couple of us laughed at the serious tone in her voice.
“Oh, look,” Ella said, “Your faves are coming out onto the lawn.”
The football players that they had pointed out before walked out onto the grass in the same group they had that first day I saw them. They were wearing uniforms, but they’d taken off their ties and their collars were undone.
Amy and Chantel giggled loudly.
“68 and 56,” said a girl named Hannah, “They are really cute.”
We carefully watched them, while trying not to make it obvious. The group of four kept looking up at us too, and 68 caught my eye once. I looked quickly at my feet.
“Oh, they are totally watching us,” said Ella, “I bet they have eyes for you guys.” She nudged Amy’s arm, and Amy smiled. Chantel looked up with a smile too.
“I hope so,” she said.
“We know you guys have dibs on them,” said Hannah, “But what about their friends there?”
Then the conversation veered off, as the girls tried to figure out who the other two guys were. They were far enough away that it was a difficult to really see their faces, so there was a debate about whether one of them was number 45 on the football team, and whether the other one was 78 who had dated a grade eleven blonde last year.
It reminded me of lunches and sleepover with my friends back on earth, talking about boys and wondering about relationships. I shook my head, trying to keep it in the moment and not in the past, no matter where it wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment