A love story for teens by a teen with no love life.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chapter 23 (post three)


Pre-note: I shouldn't be writing or blogging: I should be studying for my soc test. But nope, here I am, posting the next section.
SO HERE'S MY PROBLEM: I'm thinking my novel may be going a totally different way plot-wise than I expected. This may mean I'm going to keep writing, but there are things I want to change in past chapters in order to fit what I want to happen later on. So, if this occurs, and I keep posting on this blog, then I'm going to have to have "btw you as the reader are supposed to know this" sections before the chapter sections. Hopefully this doesn't have to occur too much and it isn't too complicated. 
Anyways, just written, here's the next section.
 Chapter twenty-three, section three:
Perhaps the funniest part is that I worked so hard for it, wanted it so badly, but days later it wouldn’t matter. It would be the last thing on my mind and the least important thing in a string of events. It would be nothing compared to other things, it would be nothing in the grand scheme of things.
But that day, it was all I could think of. It was the only thing on my mind when the boy’s school scored their first touch-down, it was the only thing pounding through my head with the cries and screams as the West End school won and everyone around me burst like fireworks. It was the only thing I cared deeply about. Looking back now, I can hardly understand why, and at the same time, I completely understand. Popularity was my main goal: to be liked, accepted, to follow the right crowd. As I waited for that night of the dance, it was if I was waiting a life-changing moment. And maybe it was, maybe being accepted back into Amy’s group or not was life-changing to me at that moment in time. But it wouldn’t be life-changing in the long run. It was just another fabricated desire, a distraction from the important things I wasn’t seeing.

2 comments:

  1. You are a powerhouse. Keep writing, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...everyone around me burst [into applause?] like fireworks."

    Great simile, although the original version did admittedly make me chuckle.

    I like the contradictions of her closing thoughts and how they add to the tone of confusion, but I think if you slashed out some unneccessary things it would make a lot more impact.

    Cheerio! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete