A love story for teens by a teen with no love life.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Very Very First Version of New Wings (post one)


Pre-note: So I haven't posted anything in a while because I haven't written anything in quite a while. The sad truth is that I haven't been able to write. I blame the essays and the stress of university, but truth is that it's just writer's block. There, I said it. Damn writer's block has killed my creativity and drive to keep going. 
So to revive myself, I started playing with Annika McCalden's Facebook profile and started posting some sections of New Wings that I'd written but taken out of the actual novel. This made me think of the very, very original New Wings, the one that I began to write when I was twelve years old. I remembered I had transferred it onto my laptop, and so I went looking for it. Finding it, I thought I should share it with you readers here on my blog.   
Here it is. The very first attempt I made at writing New Wings, section one.
The very, very first version of New Wings, section one: 
 
 My version of Lovely Bones:
*Angels*

"She came together well, do you think so, sir?"
"The stitching was well done, Mary, thank you."
"Oh, it was nothing, sir.''
"She is awake, sir. Come quick."
"Very well, Jake. Mary, go fetch Jacob. He must be here, for he is her Guider."
 Everything was blurry. Bright and blurry. I was laying on something soft and fluffy. My arms lay on something even more soft and feathery. There seemed to be two people in the room with me, one had just left. They all held two large oval things behind their backs. Weird. One was sitting beside my bed; the other was walking toward me. Wait, he seemed to be floating, his feet hardly moving or touching the ground. How...?
That's when my sight came back, and I gasped. They all had wings! Large fluffy wings! And halos! I sat up straight, with my hands behind my back. My arms touched something soft. I gasped once more as I noticed that I also had wings. Not as large, of course, for I was only thirteen, but still, fluffy wings. My hands went to the top of my head. Nothing.
"Of course you don't have a halo, you haven't seen Her yet."
A guy about the same age as the man sitting beside my bed entered the room through a door at the left.
"What?" That's all I could manage. The one standing a ways away answered.
“You don't have a halo, you haven't seen Her yet. I don't what you call Her, there are many names. God, The Creator, Mother Earth, etc.
Actually, Mother Earth is her real name, but-"
"Wait a moment. Where am I? What am I doing here? Do my parents know I'm here? Boy, they're going to kill me!"
This time the person who was walking toward me, now standing beside my bed, answered.
"You're in Heaven."

3 comments:

  1. NOTE: Yes, this is extremely embarrassing, but I also find it really funny, so I hope you do too.
    Also, I never have read Lovely Bones, and the movie wasn't even around when I started this story. However, I was inspired by the idea of writing from the perspective of a character who's dead, and hence the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The twelve year-old-ness is just SEEPING through my computer monitor.

    I would rate it two, nay, THREE chopsticks' length of cuteness! Great start to a story. I find old writings to be not so great on style, but the emotion and excitment are clearly there.

    On Writer's Block: If I had any advice, it would be DON'T STOP. You can get stuck fast if you do. Sometimes it helps to just accept you are going to write some shitty shit, and then once you get back into the swing of things you can go back and rewrite this "buffer" zone between Writer's Block and re-inspiration.

    Don't give up! You've got this true fan rooting for you and waiting to see how it all ends!

    ReplyDelete