A love story for teens by a teen with no love life.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chapter 8 (post one)


Pre-note: This is the beginning of the next chapter in my rough novel. Please leave comments so I know people are reading this >.< This chapter... could use some improvement. I wish I had more time so I could actually go through and EDIT. That would be amazing! But I don't even have time to write anymore, let alone edit anything I've already done! Oh, damn you university, taking up all my time!
Chapter eight, post one (note to self: saved as chapter seven on laptop):
On the first day I woke in that room on a sunny November day, I knew this school was going to be different than any other I’d ever been to.
The room in its blue colour felt empty with the sparse furniture and lack-of pictures on the wall. The uniform I slipped into was a simple pleated skirt, black; a white v-neck t-shirt and a cardigan. Each item was nicely made and stitched with the initials: W.S.S.G. in the standard school colour. I learned from Jake that it stood for West-End Secondary School for Girls. Shoes must be black (to go with the black and white clothes) and could be worn with tights, leggings or high socks on cooler days. I slipped my feet into simple black flats bought just a few days ago, on that first day here.
My hair was a mess. Jake had loaded me with school supplies, but we’d only come as far as a brush for hair products. ‘Can I get mousse and leave-in conditioner?’ I wondered.
There was a knock on my door, forcing me to grab a hair elastic and flip my hair into a messy ponytail.
The girl at the door looked about my age; she had perfect chocolate hair that’d obviously been styled that morning, and wore her skirt short and her shirt low.
“New Wings?” she said.
“Yeah?” I responded, although secretly I was starting to become annoyed with the nickname.
“You’re going to be late for class.”
“Oh.” I looked at my alarm clock, glowing 8:03, and remembered classes started at 8:10.
“Oh!” I repeated running back into my room to grab my pre-packed bag and key-card.
The girl inspected me with her eyes as I did so, and then did a glance-inspection of my room before I locked the door behind me. She didn’t say a word, but I could tell that she was surprised that my room was different, as well as put-aback by my messy ponytail.
“Chantel.” She said, extending her hand to me as we walked down the hall. “I’m the vice-president of the senior student council, as well as in your homeroom class. Did you bring your schedule, New Wings?”
She sounded so business-like that I only nodded in response. When Chantel handed me a slip of paper in a colour that matched the hall, I almost expect it to come with her business card. Instead, it was a map of the school grounds on one side, and of the school building the other. With one glance, I knew I wouldn’t be getting lost in the school building. The school only one hall that ran in square shape on each floor and each room number was in order. I found my, or rather, our homeroom, English with Ms. Gayed, on the first floor in room 102.
“Have you had a tour?” Chantel held the door open for me that led outside and onto the path to the school.
“Only a quick one of this building, the residence. And it’s Nika.”
“Oh good, I’ll get to show you around the rest of the campus! We’ll meet up for lunch, ok? Then I can show you the library, the cafeteria, the gym and the field before afternoon classes start, ok, New Wings?” Her grin was huge, and as business-like as she was, I really thought it was sincere.
“Ok, sure.” I smiled back, trying to dismiss the fact that she hadn’t acknowledged my name and that this nickname was going to stay.

1 comment:

  1. The uniform I slipped into was a simple pleated skirt, black; a white v-neck t-shirt and a cardigan

    AARRR. Always the high point in my day to go hunting for semi-colons and shooting the damn suckers with long-range sniper rifle.

    I would also put black before "pleated skirt" so the modification is clearer.

    "Skirt short and shirt low" is tantalizingly alliterative as well as risque.

    Also, no colon in the preceding sentence.

    The more common term is "taken-aback".

    Heaven got MS. GAYED? Hmm, maybe I'd better switch my mortal moral gameplan.

    ReplyDelete