A love story for teens by a teen with no love life.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Chapter 22 (post two)

Pre-ramble: This is a short reminder to NOT JUDGE ME based only on my writing posted to this blog. Please forgive me for the sections such as the following which are slightly pointless and don't contribute much to the plot. But, hey, I enjoyed writing it, so you might not mind reading it.
Chapter twenty-two, section two:
The store was bustling with people. It reminded me of Christmas shopping on the 23rd, a mix of strangers trying not to elbow each other while making sure they got the right size sweater.
“I’m heading right for the shoes. Want to stick together or split up?” Lulu asked me.
“Split up, but I might text you when I need an opinion.”
We headed our separate ways, Lulu up the stairs and me around to the other side of the store. I found a section full of dressier clothes in dark fall colours, but kept looking for something with a bit more colour.
Without the magazine with pre-planned outfits in my hand, I was looking for anything that simply caught my eye, something that was a little different than those simple gray and black dresses, yet sophisticated enough that it would be clear I bought something just for the occasion.
With this in mind, I stumbled upon it.
It must have been a summer dress since it was floral in varying pinks, strapless and short. There were only a few tucked in the corner, but I quickly spotted my size. That was also when I noticed the price: $450. My heart jumped a little, but I remembered that was below my crazy high limit. Grabbing the dress, I headed to the change room.
It fit perfectly, hugging in the right places and flowing out where it should. I didn’t even text Lulu, I knew I was buying it.
With the dress in my hands, I headed up the stairs and found Lulu in the shoe section. She was wearing a pair of black heels with laces and a rounded toe. After a couple comments on the dress I’d found, I was trying on the same shoes.
“Everyone will be wearing these,” Lulu said with a smile, “They just got them in the store and they are in every magazine right now.” She twisted in front of a mirror, examining them from all the angles. “I’m going to get them.”
I stood beside her, looking at the shoes on my feet that were fitting perfectly. I had seen the price tag and was thinking them over, since they would put me at my max and I still needed jewellery. Then I noticed the same shoes in honey brown. When I held them up to my dress, the colour brought out the warm tones of the pinks, and I noticed these shoes were $100 less.
“Perfect,” I said, scooping up my size from a shelf.
Lulu watched me, her black ones in her hands. “You don’t like getting the exact thing that’s in, do you?”
 “I like to match the colours,” I said, holding the shoes against my dress. “Come look at jewellery with me?”
Lulu just nodded and smiled, leading the way to the stairs.
After finding “in” thin layered gold chains, we checked out. I was $24 away from my limit and I sighed with relief when the total came up.
As we walked out of the store, I glanced back at the rows of black and navy dresses and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment